The Most Popular Surf Camp in Costa Rica: Find Out Why
So you’re thinking about surfing in Costa Rica. The idea of a surf camp sounds amazing, but which one will be perfect for you?
Here at Witch’s Rock Surf Camp, our belief is that anyone can surf, everyone who wants to learn should surf, and that the best surfer is the one having the most fun. We cater to surfers of all levels, literally from “never surfed before” all the way through “I’m a professional surfer”.
We accomplish this by offering you the following:
- Professional surf lessons taught by highly qualified surf instructors.
- Multiple surf breaks directly in front of our surf camp. Easy beginner waves, a couple reef breaks, and an advanced rivermouth wave producing quality tube rides for the expert surfer.
- Guided surf tours to other world-class surf breaks including Witch’s Rock and Ollie’s Point.
- Surfing seminars and workshops you can find nowhere else. Learn the rules of surfing etiquette and how to read waves. Hang out with the legend Robert August as he talks about the history of surfing and shows you how to custom shape a surfboard.
Witch’s Rock Surf Camp is an amazing surfing community, located on a beautiful beach with warm water and great waves, surrounded by friendly people with a true passion for surfing. Of all the surf camps Costa Rica has to offer, Witch’s Rock Surf Camp is in a class of it’s own.
Don’t just take our word for it… check out these guest reviews for Witch’s Rock Surf Camp.
Learn to Surf, We Guarantee It
That’s right, we said it! Witch’s Rock Surf Camp is so confident that we’ll get you riding waves that we offer a Money-Back Guarantee that you will learn how to surf. How can we do this?
- Tamarindo Beach is one of the best learn-to-surf breaks in the world.
- We’ve taught over 73,000 surf lessons since we began our surf camp twelve years ago, so we’ve had plenty of time to get really good at what we do.
- Our surf instructors are true professionals; friendly, bilingual, and very experienced.
- We don’t do the group surf lesson thing. Our lessons are private, never more than 3 guests per instructor, ensuring you get plenty of attention and improve quickly.
- Your safety is our #1 concern.
Never tried surfing before? Check out Witch’s Rock Surf Camp’s Surf School Program, the best way for everyone to learn to surf.
Surf for all levels: Beginners, Intermediates, and Advanced
Witch’s Rock Surf Camp is located directly on the main surfing point of Tamarindo Beach. All of Tamarindo’s best waves break right out in front of us. We have multiple surf breaks for surfers of all levels, you can ride waves on high tide as well as low tide, and there are great waves for longboards as well as shortboards. Our surf camp is the perfect surfing vacation destination for every surfer and their non-surfing friends.
There are multiple world-class surf breaks located nearby Witch’s Rock Surf Camp. Our Intermediate and Advanced Surf programs cater to those looking to improve their surfing skills through coaching, workshops, and video analysis. And for advanced surfers that simply want access to the best waves Costa Rica has to offer, our surf tours take you by van and boat to bigger, hollower beach breaks, point breaks, and outer reefs.
Have some questions? Our Reservations Office is open 7 days/week. Call us now!
Expert Coaching from Veteran Surfers
Surfing is a life-long sport. Our guided coaching program is for the surfer who already knows the basics but is looking to learn to surf better. In the water, Intermediate Surfers will:
- Try out different types of surfboards. Learn to size down from a longboard to a shorter surfboard, or vice versa.
- Learn to duck-dive, turtle-roll, and other techniques to get outside quickly.
- Improve how you read waves, your overall wave selection, and your takeoff timing.
With our Intermediate Surfer program, you’ll go to local breaks like Avellanas and Playa Grande, generally away from the main break to avoid crowds. Guests are expected to be able to paddle out in head-high conditions, catch/ride green waves (not just going straight towards the beach), and have basic control of their surfboard.
Out of the water, improve your surfing with our innovative series of Surfing Seminars. Witch’s Rock Surf Camp literally has a classroom where you will learn how waves are made, the rules of surfing etiquette, and surfboard design. Learn the history of surfing and how to build a surfboard from Robert August, the star of the famous surf movie the Endless Summer. With surf lessons, surf seminars, video analysis workshops, and daily feedback from your surf instructors, your surfing will improve.
Access to World-Class Waves
Costa Rica is famous for having amazing waves, and we’ll take you to them! The water is always in the 80s and the wind blows predominantly offshore. There are plenty of surf spots without crowds. Travel in style in our new air-conditioned Toyota vans and custom-built surf boats with Yamaha 115hp outboard motors. We have the most experienced drivers, captains and guides, and we keep our surf tour sizes small and comfortable.
- No Spanish? No problem. All of our instructors and guides speak fluent English and Spanish.
- No rental car needed! Surf Tamarindo with all of the best waves located directly in front of our surf camp. WRSC provides airport shuttles, all surf tours are by van and boat, Tamarindo is small and fully walkable.
- We know the tides, the local wind patterns, and the local surfers. We know the surf spots, when they break, and when they’ll be best.
If you like surfing, you’ll love Witch’s Rock Surf Camp. We surf, so we made the ideal surf camp that we would want if we went on vacation. Your vacation time is precious, and it can be expensive to travel, we totally get it. That’s why we built Witch’s Rock Surf Camp to offer the world a surfing experience that was not only amazing but also quite affordable. You might end up coming back again and agian, or never leaving! (both options are fine). Contact us and check availability.
Tamarindo Beach / Playa Tamarindo
Multiple surf spots in town. The beachbreak in front of WRSC is great for beginners/intermediates, has a sand bottom, best on mid to high tide. The rivermouth has lefts and rights and can be good on any tide. There are multiple reefs in Tamarindo, some are rarely surfed. There are many good peaks on the north side of the rivermouth as well, best on mid-to-high tide.
Witch’s Rock / Roca Bruja
Beachbreak with strong offshore winds making for big barrels, lefts and rights. This spot is always good unless the wind is onshore.
Ollie’s Point / Potrero Grande
Right pointbreak, sand bottom, can get quite hollow and really fun. Only accessible by boat, breaks on low tide.
Beachbreak that is more exposed to south swells, fun rippable waves, best on mid to high tide.
Multiple breaks that work on any tides, a sand bottom beachbreak, a rivermouth with some reef, Little Hawaii which is a heavier reef right, plus a couple more spots if you know where to look.
Sand bottom break that throws big barrels, definitely the heaviest wave along this stretch of coast. Good tube rides if you know how to ride them, can get big.