Sorry, rates info is only viewable in landscape orientation. Please turn your screen around.
Sign Up For Deals
Right now our current deals are as follows:
Free Room Fall
That's right, we said FREE. As in you pay nothing. During the months of September and October, when you book a standard surf package (tours or lessons) for at least seven days, we'll give you the room for absolutely nothing. Awesome right? Click here for more info on Free Room Fall.
Witch's Rock Surf Camp is what it is today because our guests told their friends about their amazing experiences here. Well, we want to reward those who share the love. Our 50/50 program is super simple- Every time a friend books a surf trip with us and drops your name as the referral, you'll each get a $50 credit. Refer a group of guests, and you'll have a nice bar tab waiting for you the next time you come down!
8 reasons to subscribe to the WRSC Newsletter
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where is Witch’s Rock?
A: This is a multi-part answer! The map below will help.
Witch’s Rock Surf Camp is in Tamarindo, in the province of Guanacaste, in the Northwest of Costa Rica, on the Pacific Ocean.
The famous Witch’s Rock surf break is an advanced wave in the heavily protected Santa Rosa National Park, North of Tamarindo, near the Nicaraguan border.
There is no building or commercial development allowed in the National Park (a very good thing) so the best way to get to the break is by boat, which we’ve been doing year-round since 2001.
Tamarindo is the vibrant little hub of surfing in Northern Costa Rica, with great waves for surfers of all abilities, lots of good restaurants, shops, activities, easy access to the Liberia Airport, plus a full range of surf beaches to the North and South.
Q: What airport should I fly in to?
A: Liberia is the closest airport, and should always be the first choice. We offer free shuttle service on Saturdays, and it is only an hour’s drive away.
However, flights into the capital city of San Jose can often be much cheaper, so it is worth checking, and weighing your options.
If you decide to fly into San Jose, there are several ways to get to Tamarindo:
Both airlines are well-run, and have excellent safety records. Sansa is often easier, since they fly out of the San Jose international Airport. Nature Air operates out of a regional airport a short cab ride away. Rates average around $100 per person, each way.
We can arrange to pick you up and drop you off in San Jose with one of our vans or a partner company. Vans have the advantage of being able to pick you up day or night (the regional airlines have limited schedules) and are generally cheaper for any group over two people ($200 total cost for the shuttle each way). We’re also happy to combine shuttles with other guests where possible.
Buses, Rental Cars, Etc:
Of course, we can help coordinate whatever travel you may need. Many guests are coming from somewhere else in Costa Rica, or Central America, or headed off to another location afterwards. Call us! We’ll give you the straight advice and help you find the travel options that best fit your schedule and budget.
Q: Is Tamarindo Safe?
Q: Do you have the right surfboard for me or should I bring my own?
A: We have a broad selection of boards ranging from Channel Islands thrusters and Hynson fishes to fun shapes and longboards, so most surfers will find something sweet to ride, and can also try out different boards than you usually ride back home.
You can bring your own boards, but airline travel is always a risk with surfboards. They charge high fees but treat boards like crap.
If there’s a magic board you just don’t want to surf without (we completely understand) then just make sure to wrap it up like a unicorn’s egg. Extra bubble wrap, make cardboard protection sleeves around nose and tail. Remember those old Samsonite ads with the Baggage Mangler Gorilla?
Q: Can I use American Currency?
A: Yes. No sweat. Everyone takes US Dollars. ATMs usually offer either Colones (the local currency) or USD. You will probably get change back in Colones, however, which is more fun anyway, because then you feel like you really went somewhere foreign.
The exchange rate fluctuates, but generally stays in the neighborhood of 500 Colones per 1 USD. So if a beer costs 1000 Colones, that’s about $2. It’s easy to get the hang of it. Prices everywhere are usually listed in Colones, sometimes in Dollars.
Some places will even accept Canadian Loonies...but don’t count on that. Other currencies can be exchanged at the Airport or bank.
Q: Do I need to speak Spanish?
A: No worries if you don’t, but it adds to the experience if you do. Many Costa Ricans who work in tourism speak some level of English, many fluently. Try out some Spanish while you are here, folks are friendly and helpful about it, or let us know if you want to take Spanish Lessons at one of the excellent language schools right here in Tamarindo.
Q: Do I need a special visa?
A: Not if you are from any of the countries listed below. All visitors are required to have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the dates of the trip.
Visitors from the following countries are allowed to stay for 90 days without a visa:
Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Japan, Panama, Paraguay, Uruguay, United States and all European countries except from Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Czech Republics, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Visitors from these countries are allowed to stay for 30 days without a visa:
Australia, Belize, China, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, The Philippines and Venezuela.
Q: Do I need any special vaccines?
A: No, unless you are flying into Costa Rica from one of the countries that has been flagged as at risk for yellow fever:
AFRICA SUB SAHARAN
Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria,
Saw Lioness and Sudan.
Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador.
Q: Can I drink the water and eat fruits and vegetables?
A: Yes, the water is safe to drink, ice is fine, fruits and veggies are generally yummy and safe to eat. Costa Rica is not like Mexico where Montezuma’s Revenge has become legendary. However, if you know you are prone to upset stomach, you may want to play it safe anyway and stick with bottled water. Sometimes, just eliminating the potential worry is worth the effort. You’re on vacation, and you don’t want anything to ruin it.
- HOU to LIR $773 Jul 1 - 10 on Delta found 1 day ago
- BWI to LIR $677 Mar 5 - 18 on American Airlines found today
- JFK to LIR $409 Jan 25 - Feb 1 on Delta found today
- DEN to LIR $493 May 3 - 10 on Frontier found 1 day ago
- EWR to LIR $470 Jan 22 - Feb 6 on Copa Airlines found today
- DCA to LIR $573 Feb 9 - 19 on Delta found today
- LGA to LIR $420 Feb 2 - 9 on US Airways found today
- SFO to LIR $733 Feb 4 - 12 on American Airlines found today
- LAX to LIR $621 Mar 19 - 27 on Copa Airlines found today
- NYC to LIR $409 Jan 25 - Feb 1 on Delta found today
- WAS to LIR $552 Mar 11 - 18 on United found today
- IAD to LIR $552 Mar 11 - 18 on United found today
- CHI to LIR $424 May 21 - 29 on Copa Airlines found 1 day ago
- MIA to LIR $424 Jan 22 - 30 on Copa Airlines found today
- ORD to LIR $424 May 21 - 29 on Copa Airlines found 1 day ago
- DCA to SJO $319 Jan 27 - 30 on Frontier found today
- MIA to SJO $347 Feb 10 - 17 on Aeromexico found today
- NYC to SJO $338 May 9 - 10 on Spirit Airlines found today
- ORL to SJO $293 Feb 26 - Jun 4 on Spirit Airlines found today
- JFK to SJO $360 Feb 9 - 11 on Aeromexico found today
- DEN to SJO $419 Feb 26 - Mar 6 on Frontier found today
- LAX to SJO $427 Jan 13 - 26 on Aeromexico found today
- ATL to SJO $347 Mar 24 - 30 on Spirit Airlines found today
- LGA to SJO $338 Feb 9 - 9 on Spirit Airlines found today
- EWR to SJO $429 Jan 22 - Feb 2 on JetBlue Airways found today
- WAS to SJO $367 Jan 27 - 30 on Frontier found today
- IAD to SJO $414 Feb 4 - 11 on Aeromexico found today
- SFO to SJO $457 Jan 28 - Feb 17 on Aeromexico found today
- BWI to SJO $461 Jan 29 - Feb 7 on Spirit Airlines found today
- FLL to SJO $201 Dec 12 - 14 on Spirit Airlines found today